Debra Bilodeau- France

General FAQs

Q: Can students participate in more than one study abroad program? [show]

A: Yes! As long as the programs do not overlap in time, students can participate in more than one program.  Students interested in back-to-back programs, such as a fall program directly followed by a spring program, should speak with their UCSC Study Abroad Advisor to make sure there are no visa restrictions that would prevent their participation.

Q: Can students participate in a study abroad program after they graduate? [show]

A: For UC programs, students must be active students at UCSC in order to participate.  If a student wants to study abroad after they have completed their UCSC degree requirements, they must delay their graduation in order to be eligible to study abroad.  Non-UC study abroad programs vary and may allow a student to participate after they graduate.  However, if a student participates in a non-UC study abroad program after they graduate, they will not be able to have any of their coursework satisfy any degree requirements at UCSC since their degree will be completed.  Students may want to consider service-learning, peace corps, teaching English, or research/grad school abroad opportunities after they graduate.

Q: Can students spend their senior year or final quarter before graduation abroad? [show]

A: Yes, if it is a UCSC Exchange or UCEAP program.  As part of the application process for these programs, students are required to submit an Academic Planning Form signed by their academic advisors, confirming there are no restrictions to their participation or impact on their degree progress should they study abroad.  In general, we inform students that pending their campus academic advisors support, they should be able to study abroad their final term as long as they have not exceeded the unit cap prior to departure and they will have completed all of their degree requirements either before they leave or during their time abroad including their senior residency requirement. 

For UCSC Exchanges and UCEAP programs, grades from abroad can take up to a quarter after the end of their program to be posted to their UCSC record.  Although students do not need to return to campus or enroll in courses, they should expect to delay their graduation until their grades have been added to their transcript. 

Q: Can students take their financial aid on their study abroad program? [show]

A: All forms of financial aid (UC, state, and federal) are accessible to UCSC students participating on UCSC, UCEAP, or other UC study abroad programs.  The UCSC Financial Aid Office will adjust a student’s financial aid package according to the cost of the program. UCSC students who participate on a non-UC study abroad program are not eligible for financial aid.  Students are encouraged to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor prior to applying to a study abroad program to receive an estimate of how much financial aid they can expect to receive while abroad.  Students should visit Affording Study Abroad to learn more about the financial aid process.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements for study abroad? [show]

A: Eligibility requirements vary by program. UCEAP has programs for sophomores, junior, seniors, as well as graduate students and program GPA requirements range from a 2.0 to a 3.5, with most programs requiring a 2.85 or above.  UCSC Faculty-Led, UCSC Exchanges, and non-UC study abroad vary greatly by program. At a minimum, students should be in good academic standing.  

Q: When is the best time for students to study abroad? [show]

A: The best time for a student to study abroad is at a time that best meets their academic goals.  While most study abroad programs require students to have junior or senior class standing, students should consider their academic progress in completing major, minor, and/or GE coursework by studying abroad at a time that will not delay their time to degree.

Q: Can transfer students study abroad? [show]

A: Yes!  We encourage transfer students to study abroad and to start the process as early as possible. Although transfer students can not spend their first term at UCSC abroad, we will work with transfer students before they start at UCSC to study abroad as early as their first year at UCSC.

Q: Can students receive GE credit for courses taken on UCEAP? [show]

A:Yes. To learn more about the process, students should visit one of our Academic Planning pages.

Q: How can students satisfy the senior residency requirement on UCEAP? [show]

A: The credit requirement for residence is applied differently to students participating on UCEAP.  Students may satisfy the requirement in either of two ways:

  1. Complete 35 of final 45 credits at UCSC before participating on UCEAP


  1. Complete 35 of final 90 credits at UCSC with a minimum of 12 credits completed at UCSC after UCEAP participation.

I have another question not listed here, who should I contact?

First, check out the Student FAQs to see if your question is listed there. Then, contact anyone on our UCSC Study Abroad team,, for assistance.