Chang Lee, Chile

General Questions

Q: Do I need to know a foreign language in order to study abroad? [show]

A: It depends on the program. Many program options do not require prior language study and allow students to take courses taught in English in locations where English is not the local language. There are also many programs that have minimal language prerequisites, allowing you to improve your language skills while abroad.

Q: What are the eligibility requirements? [show]

A: The eligibility requirements vary for each program, but at a minimum include a GPA and class level requirement. To view the eligibility requirements for a specific program, visit the program website. You are responsible for confirming your eligibility BEFORE you apply. If you have any questions about your eligibility, contact your UCSC Study Abroad Adviser before submitting an application.

Q: Is there a minimum GPA requirement? [show]

A: All programs have a minimum cumulative GPA requirement and some may also have a language GPA requirement. Students must meet the GPA requirement at the time of application and maintain that GPA every quarter prior to departure.

Q: How do I find my language GPA? [show]

A: To find your language GPA, you can use the UCSC GPA Calculator. To calculate your language GPA, refer to your UCSC transcript in order to indicate your total completed units and all individual language course grades.

Q: Can I participate in more than one program? [show]

A: Yes, students can study abroad more than once as long as program dates do not conflict and there are no logistical complications. Let your Study Abroad Advisor know if you're thinking about studying abroad more than once, especially on back-to-back programs. You should also speak with your academic and Financial Aid Advisors to confirm there are no financial or academic restrictions to participating in more than one program.

Q: Can I go for a full year, quarter, semester, or summer? [show]

A: As a UCSC student, you can pursue your academic studies abroad for a summer, quarter, semester or year depending on the Program Type. To make the most of this rewarding opportunity and ensure you stay on track for graduation, you should plan carefully.

Q: Can I go as a First Year, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior? [show]

A: All programs have a class level requirement that must be met by the time of departure. Class level is determined by units completed. There are programs for students with sophomore standing (45 units), junior standing (90 units), and senior standing (135 units), but no programs for first-year students (less than 45 units).

Q: Can I apply for more than one program at a time? [show]

A: No, you can only apply to one program during a given time period (i.e. fall term or spring term program). Students may apply for back to back programs as long as the dates do not overlap and there are no visa restrictions. If you are interested in applying to back to back programs, please consult the UCSC Study Abroad Adviser for your second program before you apply.

Q: I’m a transfer student. Can I still go abroad? [show]

A: Absolutely! We send many transfer students abroad every year. As a transfer student, you may have a tighter schedule and more to consider when planning to study abroad, so we encourage you to plan early and carefully to ensure that study abroad can fit into your academic plan.

Q: Is there any flexibility with the GPA requirements? [show]

A: On rare occasions, a GPA waiver may be allowed if your GPA is very close to the minimum requirement. If you do not meet the GPA requirement(s) at the time of application, please meet with your UCSC Study Abroad Advisor to discuss your options, including alternative programs and terms.

Q: What is a visa and will I need one? [show]

A: A visa is an authorization for you to enter a country of which you are not a citizen. All students will need a visa or another type of entry authorization to study on their program. Instructions will be provided in the Predeparture Requirements section of your MyEAP application once you are nominated to your program.

Q: Can I talk to a peer who studied abroad? [show]

A: Yes! Check our connect with a returnee list. If there is no one listed for you to speak with for the program you are interested in, submit the Connect with Alumni Request Form, and we will provide you with the contact information of a fellow UCSC student who has recently returned from or is currently abroad on your program.