Other UC Academic Planning

Baa, New Zealand - Dianne Nguyen

Academics for Programs run by other UCs

When you study abroad on a program offered by another UC campus, you may earn UC credit. Upon completion of your study abroad program, request to have an official transcript sent from your program to the UCSC Office of Admissions. Undergraduate Admissions will evaluate the courses you took on study abroad; courses from other UCs tend to be transferable. The grades earned in the courses you took abroad will be factored into your UC GPA, but not your UCSC GPA. The transfer credits you earn will count towards the 180 credits you need to graduate. If you study abroad during the academic year, you must apply for an intercampus transfer through the Intercampus Visitor Program at UCSC. 

Satisfying Degree Requirements

We recommend you save all of your syllabi and coursework from abroad.


It may be possible to use UC Quarter or Summer Abroad courses to satisfy major and/or minor requirements. We recommend you speak with your major/minor advisor now to determine how to have your UC Quarter or Summer Abroad courses approved for your department and how to fit study abroad into your academic plan.

General Education (GE)

It may be possible to use UC Quarter or Summer Abroa courses to satisfy GE requirements.  For a course to count as a GE, it must be evaluated by the UCSC Office of Admissions.  The DC requirement MUST be taken at UCSC. 

Prior to departure you can request pre-approval by completing a Proposed Program Evaluation.  Allow up to 6 weeks for your request to be reviewed – start early!  If your academic plan relies on satisfying specific GEs while abroad, it is STRONGLY recommended you request pre-approval rather than assume your UCEAP courses will count toward your GEs.

After your return you can submit a Review of Transfer Credit online to have your courses reviewed for GE credit. You must wait until your UCEAP courses have been added to your UCSC transcript after your return from abroad to submit this form.