UCEAP Academic Planning

UCEAP Barbados


Courses and Grades

All courses taken on a UCEAP program are considered UC courses. Your grades will be calculated into your UC GPA and your units will be counted towards your total units toward graduation. However, this does NOT mean that courses taken abroad will automatically count for major, minor, college or general education requirements. You will be responsible for bringing back syllabi, tests, homework, etc. from abroad and filing a petition with the corresponding department or campus units. Only after the petition has passed will the class be counted towards your requirements. To better your chances of a successful petition, speak with your academic advisor from your department before applying to a program.

Every UCEAP program has different types of course offerings; some have limited options or are pre-set for you, but most programs allow you to select from a wide variety of courses offered by the host university. At the time of application, it is not always possible to tell exactly what courses will be offered the following academic year. You should use the current course listings on the host university website, as well as descriptions of past courses taken in the MyEAP Course Catalogue to determine if this university has the appropriate offerings in any particular subject area. Reference the “Academics” tab on your program overview page for resources on identifying courses.

Department and College Approval Process

As part of your UCEAP SlugsAbroad Registration, you must fill out an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF is a tool to help you plan your academics before, during, and after study abroad. It will assist you in making sure you stay on track for a timely graduation and provide you an opportunity to discuss your overall academic plan at UCSC and abroad with your major/minor and College advisors.

Steps 1 - 2: Academic Planning

Complete the academic planning section, making sure to comply with study abroad policies, such as major declaration and senior residency requirements (see Important Considerations). 

Step 3: Department Approval

All of your major and minor advisor(s) must sign your AAF, even if you do not plan to request major/minor credit from courses abroad. 

If you want to fulfill major/minor credit while abroad, your department(s) determine what, if any, courses can be fulfilled. For more information, see How to Obtain Major or Minor Credit for Courses Taken on UCEAP.

Step 4: College Approval

Lastly, your College must sign the form. They will advise you on any outstanding College-related or time-to-degree requirements and ensure that you’re on target to declare your major on time.

Step 5: Submit Form on SlugsAbroad

After this form is completed and signed by each of your Department Advisors and College, review their comments and conditions carefully. You are responsible for adhering to Department and College policies. If your academic plan changes, consult your Advisors. Scan this form into a single 3-page PDF and upload it to your SlugsAbroad Registration for UCEAP for Summer/Fall/Year or Winter/Spring/Calendar Year.

Note: For all UCEAP Summer 2020 programs onward, we no longer accept the previous version of this form, formerly called the Academic Planning Form. All students are now required to complete the above Academic Approval Form.

Important Considerations

Undeclared Students - Students who have not declared their major at the time of their study abroad application must be able to declare before departure.* Undeclared students should demonstrate on the Academic Approval Form a timely plan to complete courses required to declare their major in the “Before Study Abroad” academic planning section. 

*unless an exception is granted by your College

Seniors Abroad - All senior standing students abroad must meet the UCSC Senior Residency requirement. UCEAP students may satisfy the requirement in either of two ways:

  1. Of the final 45 units leading up to your program abroad, 35 of these units must be completed at UCSC. 
  2. Of the final 90 units of your degree, 35 of these units must be completed at UCSC with a minimum of 10 units out of those 35 completed after your program.

Discuss senior residency with your College advisor to ensure that you are in compliance.

Graduating on UCEAP - It may be possible to have your final quarter as a UCSC student be spent abroad on UCEAP, assuming you have met all of your degree requirements and fulfilled the senior residency requirement. Remember, however, that grades can take up to 4 months after the end of your UCEAP program to be posted to your UC transcript and you may not declare candidacy until the term after your program. Although you do not need to return to UCSC to take courses, you should plan to delay your graduation by at least one quarter after the official end date of your UCEAP program. Your UCSC Study Abroad Advisor will provide additional instructions after you have been selected to UCEAP.

UCEAP During 5th Year - Students who find it challenging to participate in UCEAP during their regular four years at UCSC may consider spending part of or their entire 5th year abroad. This is generally acceptable provided you do not return to take courses at UCSC. You should consult with both your college advisor to confirm this is an option for you and Financial Aid to see if aid may be available for a 5th year as Financial Aid can be limited during a 5th year.

Repeating a Course on UCEAP - It is not possible to replace a grade earned abroad while on UCEAP by taking a similar class upon your return to UCSC. Similarly, it is not possible to get credit for a course on UCEAP that you have already taken at UCSC. Grades earned on UCEAP are final.

UCEAP Courses and Grades - As a participant on UCEAP you will retain your UC student status abroad. All of your courses, grades, & units will be added to your UC transcript. Grades earned while on UCEAP will be calculated into your cumulative UCSC GPA and units will be added to your total UCSC units.

No more than 1/3 of your UCEAP total unit load may be taken pass/no pass. Be careful - any pass/no pass courses taken on UCEAP will be calculated into your 25% pass/no pass limit at UCSC. Students cannot take all of their UCEAP courses pass/no pass.

All students are automatically enrolled in a 15-unit placeholder course for each term they are abroad on UCEAP. The placeholder course will be replaced with your actual UCEAP courses, units and grades.

How to Obtain Major or Minor Credit

See the page above for steps on how to obtain major or minor credit.

How to Obtain General Education (GE) Credit

See the page above for steps on how to obtain General Education (GE) credit.