UCSC Exchange Academic Planning

Korea University

Courses and Grades

International Exchange

All courses taken on a UCSC International Exchange are awarded UC credit. Your courses will appear on your UCSC transcript, your grades will be calculated into your UCSC GPA, and the credits will be converted into quarter units and added to your total credits toward graduation.

USA Exchange

Currently, courses on USA Exchanges are for transfer credit. Units and grades will go on your UC transcript, but they will not be factored into the UC GPA.

Placeholder Course

All students will be enrolled into a 15-credit placeholder course at UCSC for each term they are abroad/away on a UCSC Exchange. The placeholder course will be replaced with your actual Exchange courses, credits, and grades.

Looking up Courses

Use current course listings on the host university website to determine if the university has the appropriate offerings in any particular subject area. At the time of application, course offerings for the following year may not be available, in which case you need to rely upon current or previous courses.

Academic Approval Form

As part of your SlugsAbroad application, you must fill out an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The form will plan out your academics before, during, and after study abroad. It will help you stay on track for a timely graduation and provide you an opportunity to discuss your overall academic plan at UCSC and abroad with your major/minor and College advisors.

STEPS 1 - 2: Academic Planning

Complete the academic planning section, making sure to comply with study abroad policies, such as major declaration and senior residency requirements (see Important Considerations). 

STEP 3: Department Approval

All of your major and minor advisor(s) must sign your AAF, even if you do not plan to request major/minor credit from courses abroad. 

If you want to fulfill major/minor credit while abroad, your department(s) determine what, if any, courses can be fulfilled. For more information, see How to Obtain Major or Minor Credit for Courses Taken on UCSC Exchange.

STEP 4: College Approval

Your College must sign the form. They will advise you on any outstanding College-related or time-to-degree requirements and ensure that you’re on target to declare your major on time.

STEP 5: Submit Form on SlugsAbroad

After this form is completed and signed by each of your department advisors and college, review their comments and conditions carefully. Scan this form into a single 3-page PDF and upload it to your SlugsAbroad application. Consult your advisors if your academic plan changes.

Important Considerations

Repeating a Course on a UCSC Exchange

You cannot replace a grade earned abroad while on a UCSC Exchange by taking a similar class upon your return to UCSC. Similarly, it is not possible to get credit for a course on a UCSC Exchange that you have already taken at UCSC. Grades earned on a UCSC Exchange are final.

Pass/No Pass

Students in good academic standing may request to take specific courses on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students receive a P (Pass) for work that is performed at C level or better. Work performed at below a C level receives a notation of NP on the student’s transcript, and no academic credit is awarded for the course. Requests for Pass/No Pass grading must be submitted and confirmed by the Grade Option deadline printed in the Academic and Administrative Calendar (by the fall quarter deadline for fall semester programs and winter quarter deadline for spring semester programs). If you request P/NP grading in a course and you are later placed on academic probation, your P/NP grading request will be canceled.

No more than 25 percent of the UCSC credits applied toward graduation may be graded on a Pass/No Pass basis. Students must be careful about the use of the Pass/No Pass option. Some courses may only be taken Pass/No Pass, and therefore count against the 25 percent Pass/No Pass limit. Several majors require all or most major requirements to be taken for a letter grade; read the major requirements section carefully before using the Pass/No Pass option for any course in a major you are considering.

Undeclared Students

Students who have not declared their major at the time of their study abroad application must be able to declare before departure.

Seniors Abroad

All senior standing students abroad must meet the UCSC Senior Residency requirement. Exchange students may satisfy the requirement in either of two ways:

  1. Complete 35 of final 45 credits at UCSC before participating on study abroad
  2. Complete 35 of final 90 credits at UCSC with a minimum of 10 credits completed at UCSC after study abroad participation.

Discuss senior residency with your College advisor.

Graduating on a UCSC Exchange

If you have met all of your degree requirements and fulfilled the senior residency requirement, it may be possible to have your final quarter be spent abroad on study abroad. However, it is recommended that you plan to delay your graduation by at least one quarter after the official end date of your program even if you do not need to return to UCSC to take courses. Grades can take up to 4 months after the end of your program to be posted to your UC transcript and you may not declare candidacy until the term after your program.

Study abroad on a UCSC Exchange During 5th Year

Students who find it challenging to participate in study abroad during their regular four years at UCSC may consider spending part of or their entire 5th year abroad. This is generally acceptable provided you do not return to take courses at UCSC. You should consult with both your college advisor to confirm this is an option for you and Financial Aid to see if aid may be available for a 5th year as Financial Aid can be limited during a 5th year.


How to Obtain Major or Minor Credit

See the page above for steps on how to obtain major or minor credit.

How to Obtain General Education (GE) Credit

See the page above for steps on how to obtain General Education (GE) credit.